Welcome to Randall County Texas


Road & Bridge Home
Road & Subdivision Policy
Floodplain Management
Access Culvert / Driveway

Contact Us

Road Policies

Plat Policy
Plat Information
How to plat property
Platting in the Extraterritorial  Jurisdiction
Plat Approval Form
Public Improvement Plans

Platting Property

WHAT is a plat?

A plat is a scaled drawing prepared by a land surveyor showing the location and· boundaries of dividual tracts to be developed. The plat must comply with local platting and subdivision regulations that are adopted in accordance with State law. The plat must also comply with the general rules and procedures and practices of the Texas Board of Professional Land Surveyors. After review by various deparbnents and local utility companies and after all necessary changes are made to the plat by the land surveyor, the plat is considered for final approval by the Planning and Zoning Commission. The plat is then officially recorded in the deed recerds of the county in which the platted property is located.

WHY is platting necessary?

The purpose of platting is to meet local and State law requirements designed to promote orderly and systematic growth in and around the City. The platting process ensures that a project is on a legally subdivided lot with proper space for development and with the required utility easements, roadways, and public facilities.

WHEN is plat required?

A plat is required when land is divided for the purpose of sale or transfer of ownership, or when creating a new building site prior to issuance of a building pennit inside the city limits. A plat is also required to attain connections to a public utility, such as electricity, in an area extending 5 miles beyond the current City limits, known as extraterritorial jurisdiction (ETJ). The ETJ is identified on an official map kept on file in the City Planning Department. Platting is required unless an exception is authorized by the City's platting and subdivision ordinance or by State laws that govern platting.

WHERE is a play required?

A plat is required on any tract to be developed within the corporate limits of the City of Amarillo, or on any tract in the City's ETJ that is 5 acres or less in size and is not subject to ETJ platting exceptions set forth in State law as described later in this publication.